Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Root canal. Zumba. Ditch the workout. Sunshine

Some of you have asked why the blog which suddenly mysteriously ended mid-week.  On Thursday I woke up with severe tooth pain and after a quick call to the dentist, a look at the long weekend ahead, made the decision to travel back all day Thursday (10 hours) so I could get emergency work done the following day. Turns out I needed a root canal.   I snapped the following picture of the Endless Mountains in Pennsylvania on my way through (which seem more endless when you are driving 10 hours, in tooth pain and sad you've just left your vacation).  It's really a beautiful drive this time of year and in the Fall, even more so. I spent the weekend recovering (not so smoothly) from the procedure.  My dentist is gracious and did everything he could to help me out of pain.  Thank goodness.  


Zumba - Ditch the workout. Join the party.

I have been checking out various exercise classes and trying to find something I enjoy and am motivated to go back to. I've tried out spinning class (where you just about die on the bicycle the first time and your legs become rubber and you swear the ground is moving when you step off that bike) and a zumba class (where you're lucky to shuffle out the door).  I arrived home from the office at 7:20 p.m.  Ate a light dinner and 20 minutes later had kept thinking about that zumba class from last week and decided I needed to get there. A good sign I liked the first class since I'm rarely motivated at anywhere near 8 o'clock other than watch my soap opera and get ready for bed. Zumba is a fast-paced class set to latin music and any class with the theme "Ditch the workout. Join the party" sounds like I need to try it. The moves are fast, lots of arms, hip and leg movements and works the abs like I hadn't considered. Tonight's class included salsa, cha-cha-cha, and calypso moves in addition!  I could barely keep up but everyone in the class is laughing, having a good time and getting a workout!  Sort of like a party as the motto says.  So, here's the funny part.  Near the end of the class after you are worked out realy well, you do some moves and touch the floor (a real feat for someone like myself who is not at all physically fit).  The part that was even sadder is what I saw when I looked down at my feet during this move.  I took a picture below.  What's wrong with this picture?  The good news is at least I got a right and  left foot onto my feet and thank goodness I'm an Asics fan so all my sneakers are the same brand.


A few final snapshots from the Adirondacks as the sunshine came out in its glory on Friday. Another mountain peak was found by the guys except this time they took the McCauley ski lift to the top!  Helen had a relaxing time hanging out on the boat reading a book.

No comments: