Friday, August 22, 2008

Neil Diamond. Ages 6 to 60.

It was finally time for the Neil Diamond World Tour 2008! Mason and I travelled to Endicott, NY, picked up our NY relatives and headed for Albany, NY for the concert. We've planned this trip for a long time and it was a family affair.
  • Great niece, Lynsey, who is six years old and it was her 1st concert. She grew to especially love "Coming to America" because her Grandma always played the music while taking care of Lynsey.
  • True Diamond Girl Grandma, Helen, was at her 7th concert. She is Joe's Sister, her age not mentioned in this paragraph.
  • Niece, Karen (Lynsey's Mom) attended her 2nd concert.
  • Mason was a great pal and came along for the ride, and to keep Lynsey company during the concert. He survived his 1st concert. Although he may never recover fully.
  • It was my 5th concertwith Neil . My favorite songs are Sweet Caroline, Coming to America and I am/I said.

Washington, DC - I started attending only because Helen was in Washington, DC visiting us in the early 90s she she heard on the radio that there was a concert. We called and got tickets in the highest level seating available at the former US Air Arena. There was only one row higher than us. We have since called this special seating "Neil Diamond Heaven".

Syracuse, NY - Helen, her husband Jim, Joe and I also attended two concerts in Syracuse in the Carrier Dome (yes, Neil has enough of a following to still play at large venues).

Washington, DC - September 2001 - Probably the most emotional moment was when Helen and I had tickets to attend a Neil Diamond concert in Washington which was to occur right after 9/11. We weren't even sure there would be a concert as flights were barely going, large events (including major league baseball and football) were not going yet. The MCI Center hosted this first event following 9/11. The opening song was, appropriately, "Coming to America". The biggest American flag I'd ever seen came down immediately. The faces of the audience showed the raw emotions of all given it was only a couple weeks following and to hear him sing this song was very meaningful.

I know it's hard to believe but over the course of nearly 18 years, I've become a Diamond Girl myself. So good. So good. So good.

No comments: